Why the 5.11 Tactical Ignitor backpack?
The 5.11 Tactical Ignitor Backpack caught my attention when I was recently searching for a more convenient backpack over the old 3 day pack I used from when I was in the military. While extremely durable that pack did not come with a lot of storage options. I have looked around and decided that I wanted one with a hydration compartment as well as a MOLLE system.
I was down at Going Gear, which is located a short distance from my home, and saw this 5.11 Tactical Ignitor backpack which really caught my eye so I decided to give it a more in depth look.
The 5.11 Tactical Ignitor backpack is a large 26 liter Backpack which means over 1600 cubic inches of storage space. This backpack is produced by renowned Tactical Gear company 5.11 features a heavy duty design intended to fit a variety of applications. The backpack has an overall size of 21 x 11 x 9.5 inches.
With a durable 300D Rip-stop Polyester body reinforced with side panels and a 840D Nylon Base this backpack is designed for duty. It is rugged enough for use at the range, camping and during your travels.
Features of the 5.11 Tactical Ignitor Backpack
The main features of this pack are:
- Zephyr Suspension System
- Adjustable belt panels
- Compression straps
- Hydration compartment
- Dual side compartments
- Stuff it compartments
- Wrap around MOLLE platform
- Compatible with 5.11 Slickstick, Rush Scabbard, Thumbdrive Holster
These features enable this backpack to adapt to nearly any situation you want and features a range of optional equipment to tailor it even more specifically to a particular mission.
Optional Equipment for the 5.11 Tactical Ignitor Backpack
Some of the options available include:
- The slickstick system is a collection of pouches ranging from eye wear cases to first aid pouches, generally known by most as MOLLE pouches. These allow you to customize the MOLLE panel to fit your needs. The 5.11 specific ones range from $13 to about $40 on their site.
- The Thumbdrive Holster is designed for a variety of weapons and can easily attach to this pack as well.
- One of the more popular pouches to accompany this backpack is the 5.11 Tactical Ignitor Med-pouch providing rapid access to a first aid kit or other critical items as needed.
- Other Useful Options
- Tactical Folding Shovel with MOLLE Pouch
- D-Ring and Strapping kit for MOLLE
- First Aid IFAK Kit MOLLE
While I did notice a few complaints that the frame design on this pack was uncomfortable. However, these were few and far between with many more indicating that it was a great fit and easily adjusted. The final thing I noticed that makes me consider this bag over some of the others is first the 5.11 brand is known for its quality additionally this particular design has been in production since 2016 and that seems to demonstrate its popularity as they would have replaced it by now if it was not performing the way they expected.
At the time of this post it is currently sold out on 5.11’s site. Update as of March 2021 the Tactical Ignitor has been discontinued you can get some great alternatives at Optics Planet or Going Gear. You can also find many of the various attachments for as well. I will most likely be heading back to Going Gear and picking one up in the near future.